Sunday, June 12, 2016

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: My Genealogy Database Statistics

This week for Saturday Night Genealogy Fun Randy Seaver had people looking at the statistics in their genealogy databases:

1)  If you have your family tree research in a genealogy management program (GMP), whether a computer software program or an online family tree, figure out how to find how many persons, places, sources, etc. are in your database.  (Hint:  The Help button is your friend!)

2)  Tell us which GMP you use and how many persons, places, sources, etc. are in your database(s) today in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blog post, or in a Facebook status or Google+ stream comment.


Randy uses Roots Magic 7 but generously gave instructions on how to find the statistics in several programs, including Family Tree Maker 16, which is what I use.  I didn't take a screen capture of the results from my inquiry, but the statistics from the default settings are:

• Size:  6,835 kb
• Total number of individuals:  7,884
• Total number of marriages:  2,622
• Average lifespan:  57 years 4 months
• Earliest birth:  1540, Ebert Mack (from my adoptive Sellers line)
• Text record:  71,765 (I have no idea what this means)
• Total number of generations:  18
• Total number of different surnames:  1,970

I don't know if I can adjust the inquiry to add more statistics, but the default shows that Family Tree Maker gives substantially different information than Roots Magic.  But now I know how many people I have in my database (which is not totally up-to-date, unfortunately, or it would show a birth in 1508, along with several hundred more individuals)!

4 comments:

  1. Janice, is there a GMP that will organize a list of ancestors by birth or death location? I currently use the FTM program ( not very often) but I am not sure if it does that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, do you mean creating an alphabetical list? I would have to check, but I think FTM can do that.

      Delete
    2. I'm desiring a geographic list by location where my ancestors were born and a list where they died ( by name and place). I think it would be interesting to know how many ancestors were born in lets say, Germany or Kentucky or Utah and of course, who they were.

      Delete
    3. I just discovered this message, so sorry for the delay in posting it. By coincidence, last night's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun asked people to look for the list of locations in their family tree databases. I discovered that FTM did not perform very well. The list it created was cumbersome, when I finally figured out how to make it. I did not see a way to query how many people were born in one specific location.

      http://ancestraldiscoveries.blogspot.com/2016/07/saturday-night-genealogy-fun-how-many_23.html

      Delete

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to everyone, particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.