Saturday, May 7, 2016

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: A Favorite Photo of My Mother

Because Mother's Day is tomorrow, it wasn't much of a surprise to see what Randy Seaver had in mind for this week's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun:

1)  This is Mother's Day weekend, so please go through the photographs you have of your mother and share one of your favorite photographs of her.  Just one.  Oh, tell us why it's one of your favorites, and tell us something about your mother, too.

2)  Share your photograph and story in your own blog post, in a comment on this post, or on social media (e.g., Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, etc.).


The problem with repeating this type of request is that if you've participated in the past, you've already shared your favorite photo!  And that's what I did last year.  So this year's photo will have to settle for being my second favorite.


This is a photograph of my parents on their wedding day, October 21, 1961.  The wedding was in Miami, and several of my mother's relatives attended.  My father's mother was there, and maybe an aunt, and that was it for his side of the family.  Very soon after the wedding my parents piled their belongings into a car and drove across the country to Whittier, California, where one of my maternal grandmother's best friends lived.  My mother always complained that it had taken them three entire days to drive across Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to everyone, particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.