Saturday, April 2, 2016

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: Three Ancestry Questions

This week for Saturday Night Genealogy Fun Randy Seaver has again been inspired by another person's post.  He linked to Linda Stufflebean's "Just for Fun – 4 x 6 = 24 Family Tree Questions" and asked everyone to follow that theme.

1) My friend and colleague Linda Stufflebean posted JUST FOR FUN – 4 X 6 = 24 FAMILY TREE QUESTIONS on her blog this week, and I thought we could answer half of the questions this week and half next week.

2)  Here are the first three questions:
*  What four places did my ancestors live that are geographically the farthest from where I live today?
*  What are the four most unusual given names in my family tree?
*  What are the four most common given names in my family tree?

3)  Answer each of the questions based on your own ancestors, not the collateral lines.

4)  Share your answers with us in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this post, in a Facebook post or a Google+ post.  Please provide a link to your response if you can.

I guess we know what next week's SNGF will be!  The tricky part about this, though, is restricting it only to ancestors and not including any collateral lines.

A.  What four [known] places did my ancestors live that are geographically the farthest from where I live today?
The Russian Empire is farther from me than the British Isles or continental Europe, so those will be the relevant ancestor residences for me:
• Chişinău, Moldova (formerly Kishinev, Bessarabia, Russian Empire or Romania)
• Kamyanets Podil's'kyy, Ukraine (formerly Kamenets Podolsky, Podolia, Russian Empire)
• Porazava, Belarus (formerly Porozovo, Grodno, Russian Empire or Poland)
• Kamyanyets, Belarus (formerly Kamenets Litovsk, Grodno, Russian Empire or Poland)

B.  What are the four most unusual given names in my family tree? [I have so many single instances of names, I just picked four.]
• Abel Amos Lippincott (abt. 1825 – aft. 1884)
• Mendel Herz Brainin (abt. 1860 – 1930)
• Simcha Dovid Mekler (? – bef. 1904)
• Sirke [unknown maiden name] (? – bef. 1893), married Abraham Yaakov Nowicki

C.  What are the four most common given names in my family tree?  [Mine are so much easier to count than Randy's.]
• Ann (5)
• Esther, Etta, Hananiah, James, John, Mary (six-way tie with 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to everyone, particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.